Types of Hearing Aids
Hearing loss is the third most common physical ailment, just behind arthritis and heart disease. Nearly 20 percent of all Americans over the age of 12 have hearing loss that is so severe that it affects their communication skills. If you are finding it difficult to communicate with those around you because you’re unable to hear them, don’t miss out on important conversations any longer. We offer a variety of hearing aids to fit any patient’s needs, lifestyles and budgets. We see patients from around the Columbia, SC and are happy to answer any questions you may have about hearing aids.
About Hearing Aids
One important factor to keep in mind is that while hearing aids can certainly help patients hear certain sounds again, a hearing aid won’t cure hearing loss. The main goal of a hearing aid is to amplify sounds to make it easier to hear what others around you are saying. By wearing a hearing aid over time you can improve your awareness of certain sounds and their sources. Hearing aids can also be used in both quiet and loud environments.
Choosing a Hearing Aid
Hearing aids come in a variety of different styles and contain many features. What features your hearing aid comes with will most likely increase the price of the item. When you begin pricing out hearing aids and shopping around you need to consider more than just the price of the hearing aid itself. Also keep in mind the cost of the warranty, any upgrades you may want to consider in the future, as well as maintenance and repair costs.
Another more obvious factor to consider is the severity and type of hearing loss you have, as this will dictate which hearing aid styles will work best for you. If you suffer from hearing loss in both ears you may want to consider getting two hearing aids.
There are several different styles of hearing aids available:
- Behind-the-ear: a hearing aid held within a case that sits behind the ear.
- In-the-ear: a hearing aid held within a case that covers the outer portion of the ear.
- In-the-canal: a hearing aid that fits either partially or fully into the ear canal so it’s less visible.
- Receiver-in-canal: Similar to the behind-the-ear aids, the aid speaker sits inside the ear canal and an electrical wire is used to reduce distortion.
- Extended wear: These aids are placed inside the ear canal and worn for months on end without being removed. They are ideal for active individuals.
- Middle ear implant: This system is implanted behind the eardrum and if often ideal for patients who can’t use hearing aids or aren’t happy with other hearing aid styles.
If you want to hear more clearly, then it’s time to find out more about the hearing aids we offer and what they could do for your hearing. Call us today to schedule an appointment.
For more information on hearing aids in the Columbia, SC area or to schedule a consultation, call our Lugoff, SC office at (803) 736-3277!