WHAT IS TINNITUS?
Tinnitus is the perception of noise or sounds in the head or ears in the absence of an actual stimulus. The noise may be perceived as a variety of sounds (e.g. ringing, rushing, roaring, or hissing).
What happens during the tinnitus evaluation?
During the evaluation, you and the audiologist will
- Discuss the nature of the tinnitus
- Review the history of tinnitus, hearing loss and sensitivity to sounds
- Determine the category of the tinnitus
- Discuss individualized treatment program
How is tinnitus treated?
While there is no "cure" for tinnitus, some patients are able to acclimate to their tinnitus on their own without intervention. However, there are many approaches proven to provide relief from tinnitus, such as:
- Amplification (hearing aids)
- Cognitive therapy
- Sound therapy
The American Tinnitus Association is a wonderful resource for patients who experience tinnitus. You can visit their website here.
Are you looking for Tinnitus relief?
Call the Carolina Hearing Institute, (serving Columbia, SC)
at (803) 736-3277 to learn more!