Do you know when it’s time to visit an Audiologist? Columbia, and Lugoff, SC area residents are lucky to have Dr. Kathryn McGee, Dr. Kelly Long, and Dr. Joi Murray at the Carolina Hearing Institute available for comprehensive audiology care and treatment. Their practice suits the whole family, serving pediatric and geriatric patients and everyone in-between.
What is An Audiologist?
An audiologist is a health care professional specializing in hearing and hearing disorders. Audiologists focus on identifying, evaluating, testing, and treating these hearing disorders. They are different from an otolaryngologist (ENT) who specializes in the medical and surgical treatment of ear, nose, and throat disorders and diseases.
Reasons to Visit the Carolina Hearing Institute
An audiologist is not only for hearing loss. There are several reasons why you may need to visit an audiologist:
- For a hearing evaluation
- If you have a newborn, they need to be evaluated after birth and again at six months to test their hearing.
- Children should be tested again before starting school
- Vestibular system issues, including loss of balance and dizziness
- Excessive earwax
- Ringing or whooshing in the ears (tinnitus)
When Should You Make an Appointment?
Your sense of hearing is vital to your everyday life and overall quality of life, so it is essential to know when to consult an audiologist. In the Columbia, Lugoff, SC area, the Carolina Hearing Institute with auditory specialists Dr. McGee, Dr. Long, and Dr. Murray know you may need to see us when:
- You notice hearing loss – this may look like turning up your tv to make it louder frequently or not being able to hear your friends and family properly.
- You are off-balance repeatedly and experience dizziness or vertigo often.
- You are due for a check-up – you should visit an audiologist every 3 to 5 years
- You are referred to an audiologist by your primary health care physician for hearing concerns
- Tinnitus or ringing in the ears is nearly constant, or you experience it enough to disrupt your routines and life.
- If you think you may need a hearing aid
- Your ear wax build-up is affecting your hearing
- You are exposed to a loud workplace or hobby and need hearing protection.
If you need an audiologist in the Columbia and Lugoff, SC areas, look no further than Dr. McGee, Dr. Long, and Dr. Murray at the Carolina Hearing Institute, where you will receive patient-focused care and individualized attention. Call (803) 424-2208 today.